Monday, September 14, 2009

About Time...

I was going through my journals a few sunday's ago and I realized, I haven't written in them since two months before I got married. OOPS! I guess I am going to have to rely on memory for the last nine years. So with that on my brain, I figured I would post a little for posterity about a memorable time to me.
I am running 26.2 miles on Saturday in my first Marathon and I have a little anxiety of the whole thing. I ran 20 miles three weeks ago and I was able to complete it in about 3 hours and 20 minutes, and I didn't have to walk at all. That will hopefully keep me in my time goal for the marathon. This is the highest mileage that I will go in my training. So the last 6.2 have me a little nervous. Luckily that will be when there are a lot of people around to help motivate me. I have to remember that my body is ready, it better be, I have had 18 weeks of 25-40 miles a week, I hope that I can pull out the mental toughness. When I ran 20 the first 15 miles of the run went fairly well and then my body just started to get really tired. About Mile 18 my legs were really aching and I was starting to lose it mentally. My friend who rides her bike with me, was soooo helpful and kept me going. I was a little disappointed because two weeks before I had ran 19 in the pouring rain and I had an awesome run but I guess there are good runs and bad runs and I hope Saturday is a good one. Too bad I won't have anyone with me on Saturday, just the ipod. When I finished the 20. I was so happy and relieved to have it done. And it felt great to know that I could do it. Mark tells me " come on you've run 20 what is another 6.2, and then he goes oh yeah, six miles is far!!" So this will be where I define myself, and show what I am made of. This is a dream/goal I have had my entire life, so I am so excited to see what comes of it. My Mom and Dad will be coming from Wyoming (since they have been the marathon sponsors) and my two sisters and one brother and mark's sisters family, it will be so nice to have a lot of support. Thank you everyone, it means so much to me!!
My big fear is leaving Blake for so long, I have to leave around 5:15 and I probably won't get to him until noon. I have been trying to cut back the nursing but I think he is on to me and he wants to nurse 24/7. But I know MD is very capable and with my family here they can deal with a grumpy Blake. Miles keeps asking me what I am going to get when I win. I keep telling him that I am not going to win, my goal is to finish and then I will get a medal. He keeps going, "Oh mom, you will probably win a lot of money, maybe you should start running a lot to make money." Oh the determination of children and the belief that you can do anything. Thanks Mi! I will be posting more this week because I want to document this event somewhere and since the journals aren't cutting it this will have to do.

3 comments:

shari berry bo-berry said...

carrie you amaze me! good luck and have fun...i know it will be an experience you will never forget and who knows, maybe you'll even do it again someday!!!

steph said...

You are awesome! You seem so focused and dedicated. I wish that I could love running like that.

Sara said...

You go with your bad self. I remember the days of being your running partner...good times. You will do AWESOME! To bad I can't be there at the finish line, but I want to hear all about it soon.